Sunday, March 21, 2010

Getting to know the BBA - Websoulsurfer

(This is a repost from the Baseball Bloggers Alliance website. It is a series of question and answer articles designed to introduce the readership at the main BBA website, baseballbloggersalliance.com, to the blogs that are part of the Baseball Bloggers Alliance.

I hope you enjoy learning a little more about Websoulsurfer)


Sunday March 21, 2010

Start by telling us a little about yourself .

I am 48 and by profession I am a Marketing Consultant. I am still working in the game of baseball on occasion which is why you won't see my name on my blog yet. On the blog I also have occasional ghost authors that use the blog as a public outlet.

I have been blessed to have been married for 7 years to an absolutely wonderful woman.

1) How and why did you get into blogging?

On one of the boards I posted on often, one of the members there said that I posted long winded, information and link filled diatribes that were better suited to a blog and invited me to (leave the board) and start my own blog. So I did.

Baseball has always been one of the loves of my life, much to the chagrin of my wife. I have spent a lifetime in and around the game off baseball as a player through high school, college and the low minors, then as a coach and manager, and more recently working in other areas of the business of the game. IT was a natural for me to blog about baseball.

2) Do you have any blogging projects planned for the off-season?

I have started research on a top 5 Padres Prospects by position which I hope to have ready before the Padres break camp. I am also working on a preview of the NL West for the 2010 season. In the future I would like to do a recurring feature on forgotten players. The Carmelo Martinez's and Tom Pagnozzi's of the world.

I am looking forward to the simulation software the BBA may have access to and plan on reporting on the results of a full season simulation and series by series simulations.

3) What's been your most enjoyable experience as as blogger (particularly well-received post, a high-profile link, a connection you wouldn't have had otherwise, etc.)?

I have had several times where I have beaten the national media to reporting signings and injuries, but by far the one I enjoyed the most was having my articles about Kevin Kouzmanoff's fielding linked to
in the Washington Post online. They tried to shoot down my ideas, but it was exciting to see my name in a major daily.

4) How did you find out about the BBA and what attracted you to the group?

To tell the truth I don't remember how I found out about the BBA. I had been looking for a group to join, but many wanted me to give up the copyright to my material to join, which I was unwilling to do.

I liked the fact that the BBA was founded with the idea of fostering collaboration between the blogs.

5) What do you want to see out of the BBA in the coming year?

I would like to see more cross promotion and participation. It has been amazing to see the growth and amount of sharing of a largely informal group in just a few months so far. I am excited about the
future of the BBA.

6) What sets your blog apart from the numerous other Padres blogs?

I would say the in depth nature of the articles.

Along with my occasional ghost writers, I endeavor to put up well thought out and complete articles of a type you would have seen in the newspapers of my youth.

7) What are you most looking forward to in regards to the 2010 season?

Opening Day!

Every opening day is full of hope and every team has the same record.

I LOVE Opening Day.

8) Does it get boring living in a reported paradise such as San Diego?


I travel so much that I am only in San Diego about 6 months of each year and I never get bored with living in paradise.

San Diego's weather may be boring, but only if you consider perfect to be boring.

There is SO much to do that its a wonder that anyone ever attends a sporting event.

Do you want to know how perfect this place is? I have gone snow skiing and surfing on the same day. I have experienced 80 degree temperatures on Christmas day while watching girls skating on the
boardwalk in their bikinis. And while the rest of the world is sweltering in the August heat, we are in the 70's at the beach and sunny.

As for me I came out here for a vacation in 1985 and never left. Why would I leave paradise?

But traffic is already bad enough here, so don't let me convince you to move here. Its really a boring existence here in paradise. I am sure you would rather stay where there are 4 seasons and extreme cold and heat and humidity. LOL

9) Will the Padres ever tinker with Petco to make it more hitter-friendly?

The current Padres ownership and management believes that they can build a team that is optimized to win in Petco Park.

Much like the St Louis Cardinals teams of the 1980's, I think that building a team with good pitching, speed and great defense is a recipe that will work in bringing a winning team to Petco.
The Padres brass seems to be of a like mind on the subject.

If that proves to be true over the next few seasons then the walls will likely not be brought in. If it doesn't work, well they have already had a surveyor come in and lay out where the walls would be.

10) What is it about the Padres that makes so many people want to write about them?

I am not sure why others blog about the Padres, but for me the draw is a love of the game and the fact that the Padres are my home town team and the team I have held season tickets for since 1986.

The Padres have drawn some great writers into blogging including the dean of Padres blogs -  Geoff Young at Ducksnorts, Daniel Gettinger, Ben Davey and the crew at Friar Forecast, Peter Friberg of the Padres Rundown, Ray and Melvin at the Sacrifice Bunt among others.

There are several others that I enjoy reading such as Avenging Jack Murphy, and Friarhood.

It has also brought out some blogs that get lots of hits but add little to the discussion of the game.

What I find interesting is that there are so many blogs about the San Diego Padres by people that don't even live in San Diego.

No comments:

Post a Comment